Watermelon Basil Margarita
A must try twist on the classic margarita! This sweet and refreshing drink will surely become your favorite go to this summer.
What is better than watermelon in the summer? Let me tell you, watermelon with a little tequila… oh and some basil!
In preparations for a line up of summer outdoor festivities, I felt the need to come up with a delicious new twist on the traditional margarita. With 4th of July around the corner, what sounds better than a cookout and some refreshing margaritas? I surely have your attention now!
In a blender, place cubed watermelon and blend on high till it turns into a smooth puree. Next, strain through a fine mesh strainer (a pasta strainer will work) directly into a glass. This is the foundation of your drink.
In a cocktail shaker, muddle a few sprigs of your basil leaves. Muddling helps release the oils and enhance the flavor of any herbs. Now the good part. Let’s mix! Add a handful of ice cubes, pour the watermelon juice, a squeeze of lime, and of course your tequila then shake vigorously.
We chose to use Cazadores Tequila Blanco due to its notes of basil and mint undertones with a sweet finish to enhance the flavors of this drink. Personally, I think choosing the right combination of alcohol and additives is key to making the perfect adult beverage! However, if you have something already on hand, that will do just fine. After a drink or two, you won’t notice a difference anyhow!
Once mixed well, pour your margarita into a salt rimmed glass and garnish. Drink right away! Trust me, these are dangerously sippable drinks. You’re sure to be the most popular person at the party!
Watermelon Basil Margarita
This watermelon basil margarita is a must try! Sweet and refreshing, this drink will surely become your favorite go to this summer!
- 2 oz Cazadores Tequila Blanco
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 3-4 oz Watermelon Juice
- 4-5 Sprigs of Basil
- Maldon Flake Sea Salt
Garnish and Salt Rims:
- Using lime juice, dampen the rim of your glass. Turning glass upside down, place the rim in sea salt. Give it a gentle twist and return upright.
- For the Garnish, take 1″/1″ cubes of watermelon and skewer. Add a sprig of basil for color!
- Take 3-4 cups of watermelon and place into a blender. Blend on high until making a smooth puree.
- Using a mesh strainer, strain puree into a glass container for use later.
- Chill until ready for use.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle a few sprigs of your basil leaves.
- Add a handful of ice cubes, pour the watermelon juice, a squeeze of lime, and of course your tequila.
- Shake vigorously for approx 60 seconds to ensure a great mix.
- Pour into salt rimmed glasses with a few ice cubes.
- Add garnish and serve!
If you love this drink recipe, make sure you check out all my other recipes. There’s surely something there to tickle your taste buds!
Now to find a hammock, a good book, and my glass! Cheers lovelies.
PIN IT FOR LATER